1. Check engine oil at every other fill-up
For an accurate reading of the engine’s oil level:
- Run or drive your car for about 15 minutes to warm the oil; then park the car in a level place.
- Turn off the engine and wait 15 minutes to allow the oil in the engine to drain back to the oil pan.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a paper towel or rag.
- Reinsert the dipstick, being sure to push it in all the way, then pull it out again to check the oil level. It should be somewhere between the hash marks on the dipstick.
- Add the type and amount of oil as specified in your owner’s manual, if necessary.